The word ‘quiche’ just gets to you, doesn’t it? Even though it sounds like a very classic and extravagant dish, quiche is a very simple pie to concoct. Quiche is an appetizing pie originating from Northeast of France. The traditional quiche is made with cream, cheese, custard filling of eggs, bacon, and seasonings. Its crust is crisp on the outside and tender once you bite into it.
The key to a savory quiche is a nice oven, flaky crust, and creamy custard filling that grips to the crust and its edges. Here we tell you how to make quiche, just follow these steps:
Step 1: Prepare your crust from scratch (or you can use ready unbaked piecrust available at groceries)
– 1 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
– ¼ tsp. salt
– 1/3 cup shortening
– 4 tbsp. water
1. Stir together dry ingredients (flour and salt).
2. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
3. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball
4. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
5. Wrap the dough around the rolling pin. Carefully fold the pastry into fourths and transfer it to the pie plate. Unfold it and gently press down from the center to the edges. Be careful not to over-stretch the pastry as it might get uneven and broken.
6. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Place the pie plate into the oven. Line the pastry shell with a double thickened heavy-duty foil. The foil will weigh down the crust, which will prevent it from bubbling up or blistering. This technique, known as blind-baking, creates a stronger crust that can better hold moist filling, such as the egg mixture in quiche.
8. Bake the crust for 8 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for another 5-6 minutes more or until the pastry is golden brown.
9. Remove from the oven and set it aside for cooling.
10. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Step 2: Prepare the filling
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half (dairy product with equal parts of cream and milk)
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- dash of ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups of Swiss cheese
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1. Cook the slices of bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove drippings and reserve 2 tablespoons of drippings.
2.Thinly slice the onion and cook it using the drippings from the bacon. Cook until golden brown.
3. In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
4. Add in the half-and-half, milk, salt, nutmeg, bacon, and cooked onions.
5. In another separate bowl, toss in the cheese and flour. Mix it with the egg mixture as well.
6. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Step 3: Bake the Quiche
1. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Pour the egg mixture carefully into the baked pastry shell.
3. Bake for 45-55 minutes in the oven. To check if it is already cooked, pierce a knife in the middle of the pie. If the knife comes out clean, then it’s now time to take out the pie from the oven.
4. Transfer the quiche pie into a wire rack to allow it to cool.
5. Garnish with parsley or tomato wedges and cut into 6-8 slices.