Nothing screams more American than a burger which, ideally, should be made out of good quality beef. However, despite being commonly made out of such meat, it will be nice to try something new, right? Why don’t we try turkey instead of the usual beef? Turkey isn’t just for Christmas and Thanksgiving you know! Here is a simple turkey burger recipe for you guys to try.
Back in 2012, we gave yo tips on how to make the perfect turkey burger. It’s time to apply those tips and use them here too!
You will need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 450g/1lb minced turkey
- 100g dried apricot, finely chopped (finely chopped apple is also a good alternative)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
How to prepare it:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the chopped onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Tip into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the cooled mixture and mix well with your hands. Season to taste and shape into patties
- Heat oven to 200C. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and sear the burgers on each side until well colored
- Transfer to a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 10-15 mins. Serve in rolls with Tangy tomato chutney and cucumber slices
- For the chutney heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and add 1 finely chopped onion. Cook for 5 minutes until softened
- Stir in 1 crushed garlic clove and cook for another minute.
- Add 1 tbsp sundried tomato paste, a 400g can good-quality chopped tomatoes and a pinch of sugar.
- Gently cook for 20-25 mins until rich and thick. Season to taste, then leave to cool before serving.
Enjoy! Tell us how this simple turkey burger recipe worked out for you or any modifications you made that worked too.