Yes, I know you’ve all been waiting for this and a lot of people have even started asking and bugging us about it… a simple but very delicious red velvet recipe! Take note that this recipe can be both used in making a cake and a cupcake but here we will focus more on the former.
So enough chit chat and let’s make ourselves a delicious red velvet cake!
The ingredients you will need:
2 ½ cups of All Purpose Flour
¼ cup of Cocoa Powder
1 ½ cups of Granulated Sugar
2 tsp of Baking Powder
1 tsp of Baking Soda
½ tsp of Salt
½ cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
¼ cup of Vegetable Oil
2 tsp of White Distilled Vinegar
1 Cup of Buttermilk
Red Food Coloring
2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 Cups of Powdered Sugar
8 oz of Cream Cheese, softened at room temperature
4 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
2 Tbsp of Milk
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
How to prepare it:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease cake pans and line them with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl
- In another bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and vegetable oil then add the eggs and vanilla and cream them together until combined.
- In a measuring jug, mix together the buttermilk, vinegar and enough food coloring to produce a red color of your preference.
- Add the buttermilk mixture along with the dry ingredients and allow everything to mix together until you get a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the two baking pans, pop them in the oven and bake them for about 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow the cakes to cool for about 15 minutes in the pans, take them out of the baking pans and allow them to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in a large bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt then add enough milk until the frosting is creamy.
- Place one of the cakes on a cake stand, carefully slice off a very thin slice off the top to even out the shape and add a couple of dollops of the frosting and spread it evenly.
- Place the other cake on top, rounded side down, and frost all over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate as desired