It is almost 2019 and many of us have traded our hamburger buns for healthier lettuce wraps. Lettuce wraps are wonderful, but sometimes you want something else. Something different that is a bit more like the bread you are used to, or maybe you need something good for a gluten free friend. Also, as awesome as lettuce leaves are, they sometimes have troubles holding heftier burgers.
Veggie type alternatives:
- On the subject of lettuce wraps, a couple of big bibb lettuce leaves will work wonderfully. Or just make a bowl of salad and put your sandwich on that. It works out a lot better than you would expect.
- Zucchini, sliced to your desired thickness and grilled or baked on a rack works really well. Most other cooking preparations seem to leave these a bit too soggy to work.
- Sweet potatoes, brushed with a little bit of olive oil and grilled but left still firm work very well and are packed with nutrients.
- Grilled pineapple slices work for those who like a bit of sweet goodness with their burgers.
- Eggplant, also cooked as above. Eggplant makes for a very savory option.
- Tomatoes, deseeded these hamburger bun replacements can be used raw or grilled. Where I use slices on the others. These I just eat whole.
- Portobello mushroom caps are a wonderful choice. I like to grill mine to keep them from being watery.
Recipes for bun like replacements:
- Low Carb Hamburger Buns ( https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/low-carb-hamburger-buns/ ) – From Low Carb Maven
- Cauliflower based rolls ( https://lexiscleankitchen.com/everything-bagel-cauliflower-rolls/ ) – From Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
- Paleo Sandwich Rounds ( https://empoweredsustenance.com/paleo-sandwich-rounds/ ) – From Empowered Sustenance
- Grain free tortillas ( https://www.gnom-gnom.com/grain-free-keto-tortillas/ ) – From Gnom-gnom
- Grain Free Butternut Flatbread ( https://empoweredsustenance.com/grain-free-butternut-flatbread/ ) – From Empowered Sustenance
With all these great options, there is no need to feel guilty or settle for a white bread option again. You can help support your friends and family in their healthy eating endeavors. There is nothing wrong with lettuce wraps, but it is nice to have options.