Why delve into the world of bizarre burger toppings? People eat really weird stuff, that is why. I mean, one of my sons likes to eat ketchup on his oatmeal. At least it is homemade ketchup. Which is sweetened with fruit and not sugar… Though, I digress. So we wanted to get into the nitty gritty of some of the weirdest, strangest, most BIZARRE burger toppings out there.
I mean it is a little fascinating. Even if it can be a little bit scary too. That perfect burger is either made or ruined by its toppings. Will you find a new favourite, or run for the hills? Now we completely understand that what is bizarre to one may be normal to another. An example, fried eggs were on our list. In some countries that is apparently standard fare. (I’m looking at you Australia!) Where to others it seemed downright wacky. So, that is why we got the whole gang together and did a vote on each one. Though they are in no particular order after having made the list.
Now onto the wacky, strange, and bizarre burger toppings:
- Macaroni and cheese. This one almost didn’t make the list. Some of us felt as though a McLaren P1 had been set in front of us and we were given the keys to take her for a drive. We are going to try this. It will be magnificent! Others were horrified at the thought.
- Grilled pineapple. As a group, all but one of us love grilled pineapple. (We’ll fire the offender later! Joking…. mostly.) But on a burger? Nope, not here, no thank you! Maybe if it were a literal HAMburger? Though we will have to try to know for sure. It definitely ranked wacky in this group.
- Hot fudge. Yes, you did read that correctly, hot fudge. McGuire’s Irish Pub offers patrons a burger topped with ice cream and, you guessed it, hot fudge. We haven’t tried it, so it may be unfair to knock it. As a group though, we thought it was insanely bizarre.
- Beef tongue. This could be amazing, if it doesn’t make you squeamish. Though that is the case with every option on this list. I mean, we are all huge fans of grinding bacon into our beef before making a burger, so why not?
- Nutella. Apparently, as a nation we love our chocolate. This is the second chocolatey ingredient to make the list. Maybe it is divine having chocolate spread on that freshly grilled beef burger?
- Peanut butter and jelly. As a nation, the thing we love almost as much as chocolate is peanut butter. We add it to everything, and this is the proof. Some of us peanut butter addicts will undoubtedly being giving this a try. Likely in secret, since we don’t know just how we will feel about the results. Though we are definitely not so sure about the jelly part.
- Pine nuts, pear, and mango. Though in fairness this was not on a standard beef burger. This was on a tuna burger offered at the Flip BUrger Boutique in Atlanta. Still seems mighty odd to us, though undoubtedly worth a try.
- Fried green tomatoes. We have seen onion rings and french fries. Even a chile relleno, but none of us had seen or come across this idea before. I know my mom will be all over this idea though.
- Fried Banana and peanut butter. All of us went wide eyed at this one. It is just something we never would have thought to top our burger with. Will you give it a try? If so, check out the Boston Burger Company where they thought to serve this delectable.
- Fried Ice Cream. This sounds incredibly messing. Yet simultaneously intriguing. It was reportedly seen at the Florida state fair. Please let us know if you give this a try.
Now that we have gotten the craziest bizarre burger toppings out of the way we want to mention a few special cases. Some are not technically toppings so they didn’t qualify. Others just weren’t strange enough to our crew. But the next time you are sinking your teeth into a big juicy burger, you now know you have even more options at your disposal.