You know that yogurt is full of vitamins and minerals and good for you live cultures of bacteria. Did you know that a yogurt face mask is just as good for your skin as it is for your tummy?
Our skin absorbs a great deal of the things it comes in contact with. This includes things like moisturizer, makeup, and dirt. While we likely do not want our skin absorbing all of these things, we can also use it to our advantage. We can bring the spa to us and make an easy yogurt face mask at home!
The Recipe (If You Can Even Call it That)
- Plain yogurt – 1 Tablespoon (organic/hormone free is preferred)
- Pure honey – 1 Tablespoon (no additives)
- Oatmeal – 1 Tablespoon (the finer ground it is, the softer the mask)
You can actually use any amount of the above ingredients that you like, just keep it to roughly even proportions of each. Start by mixing the honey thoroughly into the yogurt. Then, fully incorporate the oats. Apply straight away to clean skin, or let sit a few minutes to soften oats if you want less exfoliation power from your mask.
Make the Most of your Yogurt Mask
- Start by washing your face and neck with warm water. This is best done with an oil free face wash.
- If you have long hair, you may want to put it into a pony tail or secure it out of the way. A terrycloth headband can be nice.
- If you have time, just before mixing the mask rest a warm damp washcloth over your face for 10-15 minutes to really open up your pores.
- Apply a thick layer of the mask over your face, avoiding your eyes and inner ears. You can also extend the mask down to cover your neck as well. As you apply, rub in gentle small circles to help with exfoliation of dead skin.
- Relax for 15-20 minutes and allow the mask to dry and the nutrients to soak into your skin.
- Wash the yogurt mask off by using plenty of warm water and a soft washcloth. Use gentle circles again to ensure all honey is rinsed thoroughly off.
- Rinse your now clean skin with cool water to help tighten the pores.
- Combine 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar with 2 cups of water and spritz on your face and leave on to work as a toner.
- After about 30 seconds, pat your face careful dry with a clean towel.
- Repeat weekly for best results.
Yogurt Mask Customization
There are also several things you can add to your face mask to personalize it for your skin.
Dry Skin? Mash in a few tablespoons of banana.
Acne? Add a few finely mashed strawberries.
Dull skin? Try a teaspoon or two of fresh lemon juice, or turmeric powder.
Fine lines and wrinkles? Use a teaspoon or cocoa powder, a dash of cinnamon, or some pureed avocado.
That is the beautiful thing about this mask, you can tailor it to your specific needs and desires. Change it up every week, or use the same one time and time again. Enjoy your yogurt mask and use it as a way to bring the spa to you even on a weeknight if you choose!